Sample 4WD Club By-Laws
Following is a typical set of by-laws to serve as a general guide for new clubs. It is presented only as a suggestion, modify as necessary.
(1) This organization shall be known as the (club name).
ARTICLE II - Objectives
- The (club name) is organized as a non profit organization for the purpose of:
ARTICLE III - Membership and Dues
- Owners of four wheel drive vehicles are eligible for membership in the (club name).
- The total number of memberships shall not exceed (number) at any one time. Each membership includes the immediate family, however, voting power is restricted to those family members eighteen years of age over.
- All members must conduct themselves in a respectable and orderly fashion whether in or out of club activities. Any member disgracing himself in the public eye will be immediately subject to expulsion from the club, subject to decision by the Board of Directors.
- Applicants for membership must be at least eighteen years of age (exceptions may be made by decision of the Board of Directors) must hold a valid drivers license, and must show a minimum of PL & PD insurance coverage on their vehicles.
- Applicants for membership must attend one membership meeting and one activity before being voted into membership. An initiation fee of (fee) shall be assessed against each new membership. Acceptance shall be by 2/3 vote (or 51%) of active members.
- Dues for this organization shall be (dues) per membership per year, payable in advance. Any member whose dues are three months in arrears shall be dropped from the rolls of this organization. Nothing herein contained shall prevent reinstatement of a delinquent member upon payment in full of his unpaid dues, together with a reinstatement fee of (fee), providing a vacancy exists.
- Any member not having attended a membership meeting during three consecutive months shall be dropped from the rolls of this organization. Exceptions may be made by decision of the Board of Directors.
- All personal expenses such as uniforms, decals, insignia, etc., shall be bore by each individual and are not to be arranged for in any manner by the club.
- Members shall immediately notify the Secretary upon a change of address, mailing address, or telephone number.
- Resignation of any member shall be in writing and submitted to the Secretary.
- When a member disposes of and no longer possesses a four wheel drive vehicle, his membership in this club shall terminate.
ARTICLE IV - Meetings
- Meetings of the membership of the (club name) shall be held once monthly at such time and places as may be designated by the Board of Directors.
- Fifty one percent (51%) of the membership shall constitute a quorum for a membership meeting.
ARTICLE V - Administration and Officers
- The officers of the (club name) shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer, and shall be known as the Executive Committee. It shall be their duty to draw up agenda for all board and membership meetings, and it shall be their further duty to assume the functions of the Board of Directors in cases of emergency.
- No officer shall be added to the club except by the vote of the majority of the membership of the club.
ARTICLE VI - Duties and Powers of Officers
- The President shall preside over all membership and board meetings and be present at all events when possible. He shall be the executive officer and shall have the duty to carry out the policies and decisions of the Board of Directors. He shall be without right of vote on the Board of Directors except in the event of a tie. He shall sign all checks with the Treasurer, unless both are members of the same family.
- The Vice President shall, in the absence of the President, serve in that capacity. He shall also serve as a Parliamentarian and perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
- The Secretary shall keep and preserve all records and minutes of the meetings of the regular membership and the Board of Directors, shall assume the responsibility of ledger roll call and determine the number of voting members present so it may be known if a quorum is in attendance, shall keep a file system of membership, and shall receive and answer all general correspondence pertaining to the organization. He shall sign checks with the Treasurer in the Event the President and Treasurer are members of the same family.
- The Treasurer shall keep accurate and complete records of the funds and accounts of this organization and shall collect all dues and maintain a record thereof. He shall make only such disbursements from the funds of the organization as are directed by the Board of Directors and Article VII hereof.
ARTICLE VII - Expenditures and Finance
- All monies received from all sources shall immediately be turned over to the Treasurer to be deposited in the checking account of (club name).
- No withdrawal from funds shall be made without the approval of the Board of Directors. Single expenditures in excess of Twenty Five ($25.00) must have an approval of the majority of a voting quorum of the membership. All expenditures shall be made by check, and the item for which each check is drawn shall be designated on the face of reverse side thereof separately, stating the amount of each.
ARTICLE VIII - Committees
(1) Committees shall be designated by the Board of Directors. Each committee shall be assigned by the President to a director who shall be responsible for its activities and who, with the approval of the Board of Directors, will appoint a committee chairman.
ARTICLE IX - Election of Officers
- The membership shall meet and elect officers and directors for each fiscal year at the regular February meeting. The newly elected officers shall take office on March 1st. Voting shall be in person and not by proxy or mail.
- Balloting for each office shall be in separate successive sequence and will be held by secret ballot. All ballots for offices must be counted and checked by three members other than the nominees.
- A majority of votes cast is necessary for election to an office or position on the Board of Directors.
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of Vice President, Secretary or Treasurer, an election shall be called to elect a successor. In the event of a vacancy on the Board of Directors, a successor shall be elected by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE X - Recall
(1) Any officer or director of the (club name) may be recalled by a two third majority vote of the entire membership.
ARTICLE XI - Rules and Procedure
(1) Unless otherwise specified in these By-Laws, Roberts Rules of Order Revised shall govern parliamentary procedure.
ARTICLE XII - Amendments
(1) These By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote at a regular membership meeting, a quorum being present and voting. Any amendment to the By-Laws must be presented to the membership at the regular membership meeting
preceding that in which the vote is taken.
Download PDF with link below
Sample By-Laws Document